Image Map

Apr 19, 2011

Tween Tuesday: The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall

5 wonderfully delicious, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies dunked in cold milk.

Cover Love:
Yes! I LOVE yellow and it fits with the other two books in the series. Also, I love that Batty is getting older in the pictures and once again, it fits the tone of the book.

I Wanted to Read This Because:
It's a Penderwick book. I adore them. You can read my past posts about the Penderwicks here:

One of my top 10 chapter books for the Fuse #8 poll
One of my favorite girl books
Daughters From Fiction I Would Like to Have
Puppy Love
I Am Rosalind
Tween Tuesday
Food From Fiction

As you can see, I like writing about these books because I think they are so wonderful. This is the third book in the series. Here's the synopsis from Good Reads:
When summer comes around, it's off to the beach for Rosalind . . . and off to Maine with Aunt Claire for the rest of the Penderwick girls, as well as their old friend, Jeffrey.

That leaves Skye as OAP (oldest available Penderwick)—a terrifying notion for all, but for Skye especially. Things look good as they settle into their cozy cottage, with a rocky shore, enthusiastic seagulls, a just-right corner store, and a charming next-door neighbor. But can Skye hold it together long enough to figure out Rosalind's directions about not letting Batty explode? Will Jane's Love Survey come to a tragic conclusion after she meets the alluring Dominic? Is Batty—contrary to all accepted wisdom—the only Penderwick capable of carrying a tune? And will Jeffrey be able to keep peace between the girls . . . these girls who are his second, and most heartfelt, family?

It's a rollicking ride as the Penderwicks continue their unforgettable adventures in a story filled with laughs and joyful tears!



I Kept Reading Because:
The world of the Penderwicks is so wonderful and sweet and cozy. I love being there!

Romance?: Yes, a little one for Jane.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
There is just so much to love about this book--the girls, the setting the new friends they make, Hound, Jeffery, Aunt Claire, everything!!

I love Jeanne Bridsall's writing, it is so comfortable and a bit old-fashioned. I love some of her wording and have decided to say that I am fond of things instead of I like it because I am fond of how that sounds (see?!).

I missed Rosalind, but I did like how this made Skye and Jane both grow up a little. I felt bad because of the pressure Skye put on herself, but she did a wonderful job as the OAP.

I adore Batty! And Jeffery!! He fits in with the family so well! I loved when he took over as acting OAP and made Skye work her butt off. And his storyline was so wonderful.

I am just so glad that the people they come in contact with are all good. There is no terrible drama or real bad things happening. They just meet good people.

And the bad things that do happen are simple and natural and real--like Jane's little summer romance. It was so perfect for Jane--from beginning to end.

I actually read this pretty slow because Penderwicks book only come out every three years or so. I didn't want it to end! And I have heard that the next one takes place 5 years in the future. I am not sure I love that idea, but I will follow Jeanne Birdsall no matter where she takes these girls!

My favorite sentence (and there are tons to choose from, but I just loved this one):
(talking about Batty & Mercedes) "They were having their first sleepover and were practically expiring from the thrill of it." It is just so simple and so true. If you remember your first sleepover, or if you have young children and remember their first sleepovers you know how true this statement is!

I actually cried with this Penderwick book--I might have cried a smidge at the beginning of the second one, but there was quite a bit emotion towards the end of this book (all good). It was good crying!

To Sum Up:
If you want a book that just makes you feel good, get one of these. And, if you have young girl readers in your life, start them on these books toot sweet! They are awesome!

Book requested and received from Lauren at Random House--thanks so much, it made my winter!!

Tween Tuesday is hosted by Sarah, the GreenBeanTeenQueen. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. YES!!! Oh I am so happy to read this review! I adore this series so very much. I am so happy to hear this latest installment is just as good as the previous two. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy so I can bask in the pure joy that is a Penderwick book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just perfectly lovely. There is such a long wait between books but when they are so good, I'd rather wait than have something subpar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only read the first Penderwicks-I know, I know! But I loved and it need to go back and read the others! I'm glad this one is so good!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to share my post on the Top 10 Eerie Similarities of The Penderwicks at Point Mouette and Karen Day’s A Million Miles from Boston at http://www.pragmaticmom.com/?p=17317.

    There is no foul play here, just Twilight Zone coincidences! I hope you enjoy it. I had fun writing it!

    ReplyDelete