Image Map

Jun 17, 2010

Food From Fiction: Dear Pen Pal: The Mother Daughter Book Club #3 (Fudge)

I just finished the third book in the mother/daughter book club series. I talked about the whole series for Tween Tuesday once here. These are such fun books and there is always a ton of food talk because at each book club meeting they either make something or just have a nice meal together. In this book, Megan Wong's grandma from China moves in with her and her family so there is a lot of Chinese food being eaten and made. It made me crave a good Chinese meal! But, since I have never made any "real" Chinese food I decided to focus my latest food from fiction recipe on fudge, which the book club makes towards the end of the book.

My favorite recipe is Million Dollar Fudge. I make it every Christmas and pour it into tins to add to the cookie plates I hand out as gifts. You can modify this recipe so many ways--use mint or peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips or press crushed candy canes or mini m&ms into the top before they harden. The possibilities are endless--and so delicious!!

Million Dollar Fudge

Boil together 4 1/2 c. sugar, 1 can evaporated milk and 1/3 c. butter for 6 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour into a bowl with the 2-7 oz hershey bars (broke into pieces), 1 small jar marshmallow creme (or 18 large marshmallows) and 1-12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Stir until melted (I always do this step in my mixer and put it on low until everything is melted and mixed well).
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.

One year I even found raspberry chips that I used and that fudge was excellent!

The fourth book in The Mother Daughter Book Club is called Pies & Prejudice and will be released this fall. In anticipation of this release Heather Vogel Frederick has been doing a Pie-of-the-Month Club on her blog where she interviews a fellow author and gets their favorite pie recipe. What a fun feature! I look forward to a lot of great food descriptions from this newest book!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know there was a fourth book on its way. I love this series! Thanks for the heads-up.
    www.booksaremything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete