Image Map

May 8, 2013

My Thoughts: School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

4 sweet frosted brownies.

Cover Love:  Yes because it matches the Hex Hall series, which is a companion series.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I adored the Hex Hall series and really like Rachel Hawkins writing.  This is a companion novel about Isolde Brannick.  Here is the synopsis from GoodReads:
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?
Romance?: Yes.  And no matter what was said, there will always be something between Dex & Isolde!

My Thoughts:
I liked the main characters a lot.  Izzy is great, Dex is super cool, I even really liked Romy and Anderson.  However, I don't remember a lot about Demonglass, where we met the Brannicks, so I can't recall my feelings about Aislinn, but in this book I did not like her, at all!  She was too secretive and too quick to jump to conclusions.  She did redeem herself  with her attitude at the end, but I don't like disliking someone that much while waiting for the redemption!

 If there is one thing I have learned from all my years of watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed and Supernatural it's that things are not always what they seem.  You don't just go and plan to kill a person when you think they have done something bad, you have to have proof!

I liked the mystery and when the real "villain" was revealed I wasn't that surprised, but it all worked well.

There was really good chemistry and heat between Isolde and Dex.

I loved the ending.  It wrapped up this story nicely (while keeping open a few other stories--Torin and Finn), but it left the door open a bit for a sequel, or two.  I do like this world Ms. Hawkins created and really hope that she continues Isolde and Dex's story.

To Sum Up:  Another good supernatural story from Rachel Hawkins!  This one will be popular in my library!

eGalley requested and received from Disney Hyperion via NetGalley.  Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment