Image Map

May 10, 2013

Modifying My Reading Challenges

When I posted on GoodReads reviews last month I got a great comment from Shayana about her inability to stop reading a book, even one she is not loving, because she doesn't like leaving a world unfinished.  She really got me thinking.

When I started keeping track of how many books I read a year my goal was 52, one a week.

I hit that mark pretty easily.

The next year I upped it to 75, hit that pretty easily as well.

It was when I upped it to 100 that I had a hard time meeting the goal.  And it made me feel like a failure.  I was so intent on the number that I let go of quality.  I wasn't giving some books a chance, I stopped reading them pretty quickly because I wanted to read more.

So I have decided to let go of the number.

I am going to still try and do 5 re-reads, 7 retro reads, and 6 from my GoodRedas TBR list, but the total number just isn't going to be as big of a deal for me.  I am just going to relax & read!

What about you, do you have a number of books you strive to read each year?

3 comments:

  1. I've set a goal on Goodreads to read 95, but I never really think to look at it. I guess I let go of the number. When I do happen to see the challenge icon, I just enjoy seeing all the covers of books ive read all gathered together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way.
    I know some love it but it makes me feel like I'm doing homework instead of something I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to read most of the books for my author interviews, which are 1-2 a week. Plus there are other authors I follow. Like you, I'm realizing that I'm on too much of a reading schedule and plan to cut back my expectations so I can just enjoy the reading more.

    ReplyDelete