Image Map

Aug 27, 2012

My Thoughts: Undead by Kirsty McKay

4 peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love:
I love it and think it will attract readers.  However, I worry that some parents will not love the ax dripping with blood.  Also, there is not a cheerleader skirt in this book...

Why I Wanted to Read This:  I loved the synopsis--zombies, ski trips, snow storms.  The synopsis also referenced Shaun of the Dead.  That clinched!  I couldn't wait to read it!  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads: 

Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby.
The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty.
Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.
But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late.


Romance?: A little bit!

My Thoughts:
I wish I had waited and read this a little bit later in the summer, when it was more hot, because the author did a great job with the setting.  I could feel the cold and isolation!

I loved the zombies.  This book walks a fine line between humor and darkness--I mean, they have to kill their classmates because they have turned into zombies.  It's not dwelled upon and there is also some lightness because the students realize the weirdness of their situation.  It's so improbable--and they know it, so they do what they need to to survive and not go crazy.

I love the different types of kids that come together--a brain, a rebel, a cheerleader and a fish-out-of-water (sounds like The Breakfast Club).  And I love Bobby.  She keeps her head about her and fights to make it out alive!

I also liked Smitty, he was a good partner for figuring out what went wrong and how to get out of it!

To Sum Up:  Fun zombie book that will fit in well in my library!

eGalley requested and received from Scholastic via NetGalley.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment