Image Map

Aug 20, 2012

My Thoughts: The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors

4 double chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love:
Yes.  It has a fairy tale feel to it!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I loved the synopsis when I read it and I was in the mood for a nice fairy tale.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
 
Emmeline Thistle has always had a mysterious bond with cows, beginning on the night of her birth, when the local bovines saved the infant cast aside to die in the forest. But Emmeline was unaware that this bond has also given her a magical ability to transform milk into chocolate, a very valuable gift in a kingdom where chocolate is more rare and more precious than gold or jewels. Then one day Owen Oak, a dairyman’s son, teaches Emmeline to churn milk into butter—and instead she creates a delicious chocolate confection that immediately makes her a target for every greedy, power-hungry person in the kingdom of Anglund. Only Owen loves Emmeline for who she truly is, not her magical skill. But is his love enough to save her from the danger all around her?
Romance?: Yes! And it's super sweet.

My Thoughts:
I liked this whole world the author created.  But a world without chocolate--I would hate it too!  Emmeline is a dirt-scratcher and they are looked down upon by the whole rest of the country.  Even when she first arrives in Owen's world they look down upon her.  But they take her in and nurse who back to health and begin to accept her in their lives.

I loved Owen and Emmeline and their relationship.  It was so sweet!

And the descriptions of chocolate and how everyone craves it once they have it--I totally know that feeling!

This is definitely an ugly duckling type story--and I love when Emmeline starts realizing how valuable she is and stands up for herself.  She is an awesome heroine!

And Owen will stop at nothing to find Emmeline when she goes missing--I loved him!

I read through this one very quickly, it was sweet and fun and a great new fairy tale.

To Sum Up:  I will be buying this one for my library.  It is a new take on a fairy tale--I loved it!

eGalley requested and received from Bloomsbury/Walker via NetGalley.  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I JUST saw this in the bookstore and those were all my original hopes for the story! If it is just what it sounds like, that has gone quite a bit in my TBR pile. Thank you for confirming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love chocolate so a fairy tale surrounding chocolate--it's like a dream!!

      Delete