Image Map

Jun 6, 2012

Review: Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey & Rosemary Edghill

3.5 frosted maple cookies.

Cover Love:
Yes!  I adore this cover.  It's got everything about the book on it, however, this Jett is way too female looking.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The last line in the synopsis mentions mash-ups like Cowboys vs. Aliens and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, both of which I loved, so I naturally wanted to read this one!  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

Jett is a girl disguised as a boy, living as a gambler in the old West as she searches for her long-lost brother. Honoria Gibbons is a smart, self-sufficient young woman who also happens to be a fabulous inventor. Both young women travel the prairie alone – until they are brought together by a zombie invasion! As Jett and Honoria investigate, they soon learn that these zombies aren’t rising from the dead of their own accord … but who would want an undead army? And why? This gunslinging, hair-raising, zombie western mashup is perfect for fans of Cowboys vs. Aliens and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.
I Kept Reading Because: 
This was a quick, short read with lots of action.

Romance?:  No, but some attractions.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I liked all three of the main characters--White Fox, Jett & Gibbons.  They each contributed something to the solving the problem of the zombies.  I do wish we'd learned more about White Fox though.

The authors did a great job with the setting.  The small town where Jett first encountered the zombies (and that came the base of their operation) seemed like such a good typical old West town.

The zombies were also well done--and they could use WEAPONS.  An armed zombie is totally creepy.

There is also a zealous religious nut--and his cult.  So we have armed zombies being led by a psycho followed by a bunch of other brainwashed idiots.  Tension!!  Action!!

I do think that the ending could have had more too it.  Not the actual ending, but the last fourth.  We could have learned more about the villain and what he had planned. I would have liked to see some more authority be involved--like someone from the Army or law enforcement.

I also would have liked a little romance between White Fox and either girl, but they were all very focused on the task at hand and just didn't have the inclination for romance.  That's okay too.

To Sum Up:  This will be a book I am adding to my collection.  It will catch many a middle school readers eye when I book talk it.  Zombies & the old West?!  Great combination!

Book requested and received from Bloomsbury via NetGalley.  Thanks Bloomsbury!


No comments:

Post a Comment