Image Map

Jun 4, 2012

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

 5 wonderful peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love:  It's fine.  I don't think it's that great of a cover, but the image of the crow on a shoulder and the title make me want to pick it up to see what it is about.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I had heard about this for awhile, and this review from Forever Young Adult really made me want to read it.  So I checked it out from the public library.  And turned it back  in without reading it.  A few times.  ONE YEAR after that review I finally picked it up and finished it.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?



I Kept Reading Because: I wanted to get to the part where Sam learned to use his powers!

Romance?:  Yes.  A pretty hot one too.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
Right off this book reminded me of the CW show Reaper.  Did you ever see that one?  A guy (named Sam) finds out his parents sold his soul to the devil so the devil makes him be a reaper.  He is a college dropout with a slacker job with a few slacker friends.  I loved that show.

This book isn't really like that except that Sam is also a college dropout and they both take place in Seattle and book Sam also has a slacker group of friends.  But there was so much more to this one!!  I just loved being part of this world--Sam was awesome.  There is a reason for his slacker-ness, but he doesn't learn that until much later in the story.

You should also know that when I finished this book I gave it a 4 star rating on GoodReads.  But after about three days, when I kept thinking about the book and wanting to re-read certain scenes and buying the novella for my Nook I had to change the rating to FIVE stars/cookies.  I cannot stop thinking about it!

Brid, the fey/werewolf cross that Sam meets up with during the book is amazing.  The start of their romance is great and I hope they can keep it together for the next book.  This whole book was a good set up for a series, but it was also really good as a stand alone.  There were evil people and witches and fairies and werewolves and long lost relatives.  I look forward to the next book, however, I think the author needs to do a time jump and give us a glimpse of Sam & Brid's child.  Can you imagine a witch/necromancer/fey/were?  That child would be AMAZING!

This story wrapped up well, but there were still unanswered questions.  I can't wait for Sam to finally meet Nick!  And I hope Ramon is going to be okay and that Brid and Sam are able to stay together. 

To Sum Up:  Great start to a new world!  I am definitely going along for the ride!

Checked out from the public library.  Might be too hold for my library (however our high school library has it and I will be recommending for some 8th grade readers I know)!

4 comments:

  1. I love this book. It has humor, horror, romance, a bit of mystery, and action. What more could a reader want?

    I also enjoyed REAPER. Wish it had lasted longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait for the sequel of this one. I love "discovering" older books.
      Reaper was awesome. I loved Ray Wise as the devil!!

      Delete
  2. Your enthusiasm really came through in your review. I've been wanting to read this book for what feels like forever, but your review is lighting a fire under me. I love the sound of the characters and how it seems like they've really made an impact on you. SO glad to hear I can read this as a standalone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you've been wanting to read it and then you read some good reviews you will like it. It's not a huge book like Hunger Games with lots of expectations. That's what kind of makes it more fun!

      Delete