Image Map

Jun 8, 2012

Food From Fiction: Cowboy Food Inspired by Dead Reckoning


I just finished Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill.
It was a fun read:  ZOMBIES!!  WESTERN!! GUNSLINGERS!!  TRAIL FOOD!!
That's right trail food.  
I don't think I could have handled life on the trail, at least my 21st century self couldn't have handled it.
I think if I was alive back then I could have handled it.
At any rate, as I was reading this book I started thinking about a Cowboy Food casserole I have made plenty of times.  It basically comes out looking like the slop you see served often in Westerns, but it taste way better (I am sure).  While I was thinking of doing this post I stumbled upon a SLOW COOKER version of the recipe.  I was so excited!!  I am all about the slow cooker on busy days!
So here is the recipe for COWBOY FOOD in your slow cooker.  
Eat it and feel like a dusty, trail worn cowboy.
Then go take a hot bath!
(my review for Dead Reckoning will be posted next week)

COWBOY CASSEROLE 
1 onion, chopped 
1-1/2 lbs. ground chuck, browned and drained 
6 medium potatoes, sliced 
1 can red beans 
1 can tomatoes mixed with 2 tbsp. flour or 1 can tomato soup 
salt, pepper and garlic, to taste 

Put chopped onion in the bottom of the Crockery Pot; 
layer with browned ground beef, sliced potatoes, and beans. 
Spread tomatoes or soup over all. Sprinkle with seasonings as desired. 
Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Serves 4 to 6 people.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Did you come up with this recipe yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you're hunting and making it on a campfire, use cast iron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first found this recipe called Cowboy Food in a Gooseberry Patch cookbook years and years ago. I found this new one when I was searching for good crock pot recipes this fall. I think it would be just fine in cast iron. When my husband goes hunting they normally stay in a camper or house with appliances so we have never made this over a campfire!

      Delete