Image Map

Apr 30, 2012

Review: Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

4 yummy peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love: Yes!  I am thinking this is Emme and she is apprehensive but ready to take her turn in the spotlight.

Why I Wanted to Read This:  I loved both of Ms. Eulberg's other books that I read:  Prom & Prejudice and The Lonely Hearts Club (links take you to my reviews).  Although the synopsis for the one didn't overly interest me, I knew that I would read it because of the author.  Glad I did!  Here is the synopsis from GoodReads:
Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.
I Kept Reading Because:  I liked the characters and wanted to see where this went.

Romance?:  Yes.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I liked that there were four points of view.  Sometimes when an author switches between characters for each chapter it falls flat.  This one didn't.  Each voice was unique and well written.  My favorites were definitely Carter and Emme.  I hated Sophie (and I am pretty sure we were supposed to) and didn't love Ethan, but he improved through the book.

All the characters had so much growth during their senior year (well, almost everyone).  It  made the book very satisfying for this reader.

I loved the glimpse into the world of a dramatic arts high school.  It made me want to go watch Step Up (Channing Tatum!).  Or Fame.

I loved Carter's storyline and that his mom wasn't who he thought she was.  I liked the support he got when he was ready to make a change in his life.

Again, Sophie was an awful person, but I can see how Emme was attached to her and thought that Sophie wanted the best for her too.

Emme's storyline was awesome, but I think that Ethan had the most growth throughout the book.  He was such an arrogant jackass at the beginning.  And even though I knew what his intentions were honorable I couldn't stand the way he was going about things!

To Sum Up:  A glimpse into the high pressure world of talented kids who want to become famous adults.  Very interesting and addictive.  I will be buying this one for my library's collection!

Book sent to me from Scholastic.

1 comment:

  1. I really need to start reading more girl books. :)

    ReplyDelete