Image Map

Feb 21, 2012

e-Readers and School Libraries

There is no getting around it, e-readers are everywhere.  I was amazed at the amount of e-readers that came back with my students after Christmas.  (Even with non-readers, but those Kindle Fires and Nook Tablets are so much cheaper than ipads...)

So, my fellow librarian and I were debating how to service this growing trend.

First of, we kind of decided not to have the e-readers for check out.  That might come, but for now enough of our readers have them that we just want to be able to get them books.

However, Destiny (our catalog) does not allow downloads of ebooks.  You can check them out and read them on the computer.  At least that is what we've been lead to believe, if you know differently, let me know please!

Our public library system has ebooks for check out so this is as far as we've gotten.  I am going to get the tech guy from the public library to come and teach a class for our students on how to check out ebooks from the public library.

Seriously, that's all we've decided.

We did buy four ipads for teacher check out though.  (However, in the interest of being able to "teach" the technology, we are each keeping one of them until next fall so we know them in & out...)

If you are a librarian have you added ereaders into your system?

7 comments:

  1. Lending eReaders sounds really hard and really easy for people to damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And with the expense, it's hard to justify that. There are so many kids with Kindle Fires though that I think just having books available for lending would be the way to go--for now anyway...

      Delete
  2. I know Murray and Aarica are working on e-readers for check out. I'm not sure how they plan to do the books, but you might email and ask them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an innovative library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something part of our conversation also in our district. I would like to have some available on our computers. I think my kids would love to click on an ebook in the Destiny catalog and read it right there; something classic and easy (Goodnight Moon) would be perfect to begin with. I love the idea of you "getting comfortable" on the Ipad 1st-all in the name of teaching!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the things we do for our job!
      We are actually taking an ipads in education class that is really good. We have some fourht & fifth grade teachers who were able to get 6 each for their classrooms and it is so cool to see how they are using them!

      Delete