Image Map

Feb 20, 2012

Review: The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

4 soft peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love:  Yes.  This is a double image.  Such a good cover for this story!

Why I Wanted to Read This:  I saw it on some Waiting on Wednesday posts and the synopsis intrigued me.  Here it is from GoodReads:
Jocelyn's twin brother Jack was the only family she had growing up in a world of foster homes-and now he's dead, and she has nothing. Then she gets a cryptic letter from "Jason December"-the code name her brother used to use when they were children at Seale House, a terrifying foster home that they believed had dark powers. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush and their only real friend among the troubled children at Seale House.
But when Jocelyn returns to Seale House and the city where she last saw Noah, she gets more than she bargained for. Turns out the house's powers weren't just a figment of a childish imagination. And someone is following Jocelyn. Is Jack still alive? And if he is, what kind of trouble is he in? The answer is revealed in a shocking twist that turns this story on its head and will send readers straight back to page 1 to read the book in a whole new light.
I Kept Reading Because: You could just feel that a twist (or two, or three) was coming!

Romance?:  Yes.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I really liked Jocelyn.  She had a good voice and finally had hope in her life.  She was not a "woe is me" type of character.  I liked her strength.

I loved Noah.

It was so interesting to see these foster kids growing up and making something of their lives.  We meet them first as older teens and see glimpses of who they were in the past.  Jocelyn and Noah were making something of themselves.  It was refreshing to see.

The twists!  I knew there were twists because I had read a few reviews (none that revealed too much because I didn't want to be spoiled).  I was really expecting that the final twist would be one thing, but it wasn't.  I was completely surprised!  But it was done in such a way that I totally bought it also.  Well done!

To Sum Up:  Since I don't want to reveal too much about the story let me just say that you should give this one a try.  It was surprising and interesting and well paced.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 AM

    I have just started to see things about this book. It looks so good! I love my books with a side of twists!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you will enjoy this one! Lots of twists!

      Delete