Image Map

Dec 9, 2010

What World Is This?

A couple weeks ago I found myself reading two books that took place in alternate worlds. I don't mean an alternate view of our current world, but books that had our protagonist going from this world to another "parallel" world. I thought it was so weird that I was reading two books like this at the same time--two vastly different books! It got me thinking about other "parallel" world books.

I didn't pick Harry Potter or a few of those books that have societies or races (ie fairies or wizards) running in our world, but books that actually remove a character from this world to another. Sometimes the characters can go back and forth and sometimes they are stuck in the new world.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis: One of the best of these kinds of books. Do I really have to go over this book? I would hope that anyone reading this blog had read this one several times!!

Marbury Lens by Andrew Lane: I reviewed this one a few weeks ago. This was one of the ones I was reading when I came to the realization that there are several of these kind of books out there.

The Talisman & Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub: These are probably my favorites of the alternate world type books. THe first one came out when I was in junior high school and the second one almost 20 years later in 2001. While I remember liking the first one, I loved the second one. So much so that now I am thinking I need to re-read it in 2011.

A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull: This one is coming out this spring and is wonderful. I just finished it and will post my review closer to the publication date. Have no fear, he continues his hot streak with middle grade fantasy series with this book.

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews: I had forgotten about this book until earlier when I did my Tween Tuesday post! This one is a great introduction into the alternative world for young readers. Loved it!

What have I missed? What ones can you think of?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man! I have one dancing around in my brain but I can't pin it down. Thinking...still thinking...nope. I am dying to read The Marbury Lens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Whangdoodles too!

    ReplyDelete