Image Map

Aug 27, 2015

My Thoughts: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

4 wonderful M & M cookies.

Cover Love:  Yes!  I love the simplicity of it.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
Everyone gushes about Rainbow Rowell and I loved Eleanor and Park.  I decided to finally read this and am so glad I did!  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?
Romance?:  Yes.  Sweet, darling romance.

My Thoughts:
There are a lot of reasons to love a book.  One of the big ones is that you can relate to one of the main characters.  I could relate to Cath, but more as I ma now than as I was in college.  I have always loved solitude, and was so, so homesick when I started college.  I wasn't allowed to wallow or be alone like Cath because I happen to be on the track team at my college.  It was such a blessing because it forced you to get out and be involved and you kind of had a set group of people you could hang out with.  I have often wondered if I have made it if I didn't have that.

Cath's roommate helps get her out of her shell but the one person who should have been there to help, her twin sister Wren, was such a bitch!  She was so intent on being an individual and partying that she couldn't see that Cath was drowning and needed help.

But, like any good coming of age story, Cath begins to find her footing and accepts herself and finds some romance and grows strong.  I think it;s super easy for parents to let their child come home from college after a semester if they still haven't found anything to connect them to school, but I also believe that if they can just wait out the year they will fond a reason to stay.  Cath found her reasons and became a strong person who could make the choice to be on her own or be with people and be happy with either choice.

To Sum Up:  Such a relatable story for a lot of readers.  Love Rainbow Rowell!

No comments:

Post a Comment