Image Map

Mar 27, 2015

My Thoughts: Vivian Apple at the End of the World by Katie Coyle

4 caramel apple cookies.

Cover Love:
I do like this, probably most because of the font and the colors.  I think it's eye catching and sparks curiosity.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
For some reason I have been interested in cults, must be because I enjoy watching The Following.  This one caught my eye because of the idea of the rapture.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
Seventeen-year-old Vivian Apple never believed in the evangelical Church of America, unlike her recently devout parents. But when Vivian returns home the night after the supposed "Rapture," all that’s left of her parents are two holes in the roof. Suddenly, she doesn't know who or what to believe. With her best friend Harp and a mysterious ally, Peter, Vivian embarks on a desperate cross-country roadtrip through a paranoid and panic-stricken America to find answers. Because at the end of the world, Vivan Apple isn't looking for a savior. She's looking for the truth.
Romance?: Yes!

My Thoughts:
This was a super fascinating story.  I can see how one man was able to rise up and caught hysteria, I could see the right person doing that now.  There is a lot of unrest in this nation, and in the world and the right person, saying the right things, giving stability, could rise to power.  However, one thing that was weird was that there weren't that many people who went missing.   Compared to the amount of people in this nation, the number was barely a blip.  I don't see how everything really started falling apart when it was that few people.  I guess that because of the weird things that came after I guess people really thought the world was going to end six months later.

And there was the disparity of people who didn't get saved with the first rapture so they go overzealous.  And the people who just decide they weren't saved so they didn't care.  I do think that something like that would really happen.  People trying to do everything they can to be saved and people who decide to live out the remaining time committing all sorts of sins.

Vivian Apple is awesome because she decides not to sit back and take it.  She doesn't want to wait out the remaining six months and she knows something isn't right, as many probably do, but she goes after the answers.  And convinces others to come with her.  Her best friend Harp and Peter are good companions and I loved the little romance between her and Peter.

And what she discovers at the end make up for any slow moving parts in the book.  Great twists and a satisfying conclusion.  But a cliffhanger ending makes me want the second book ASAP!

To Sum Up:  I got this for my library but am wondering if it isn't a little mature.  The topic is one that most middle schoolers probably don't even think about, they still accept religion at face value.  I enjoyed this story but think it might be better suited in a high school library. 


No comments:

Post a Comment