Image Map

Feb 10, 2015

My Thoughts: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

3 chocolate no bakes.

Cover Love:  Yes, it's pretty cool.  Definitely eye catching!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis really intrigued me.  It sounded like a cross between fantasy and dystopian.  Here's it is from GoodReads:
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
Romance?: A little bit.

My Thoughts:
This was a book I really enjoyed reading--it kept me interested and kept me picking up the book all the time.   I was interested in the plot and felt for Mare being stuck in a world she wasn't born into.  However, I mostly was interested in reading it because I was pretty sure of where a few of the relationships were headed.

The whole idea of Reds and Silvers was intriguing, but I wish the author would have gotten into why or how the division came about.  Was it because of something environmental?  Was it aliens?  I know that most dystopian books don't go into what happened to change the world from what we know now, but it would have helped me buy into the story more. 

I didn't love Mare very much, she was so full of hate and so judgmental.  I did like the love triangle between Mare and Cal and Maven a lot.  Cal was wonderful and Maven was understanding.  Mare was a better person when she was with either of them.  I could kind of see the writing on the wall for the love triangle, but I did hope my suspicions wouldn't come true.  They did and it was written well enough to turn my stomach.  Love it when a book gives me a physical reaction.

So, I liked the world and the love triangle, not the main character so much, and I didn't mind the cliff hanger, but for some reason, I don't feel that anxious for book two.  I am not sure how quickly I want to go back into that world.  I am going to get this for my library because I know that many of my students will love this book. 

To Sum Up:  A good start to a new series, one that I am sure will be very popular with it's intended audience.

eGalley requested and received from HarperCollins via Edelweiss.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment