Image Map

Dec 12, 2013

My Thoughts: Fire & Ash by Jonathan Maberry

5 wonderful, enormous oatmeal butterscotch chip cookies.

Cover Love:  Yes, it's perfect and fits in with the others.  Also, if you have only seen the hardback covers you should get a look at the paperback ones, AWESOME!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
This is the fourth book in the Rot & Ruin series.  I have loved them all.  This world is amazing and terrifying and  hopeful and one I would hate to live in but one I am very glad to go visit every now and again. I am not putting the synopsis for Fire & Ash on here because if you haven't read any in this series I don't want you to be spoiled.

Romance?:  Oddly enough, yes!  There are two main romances, and one possible one by the end.

My Thoughts:
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this last spring.  Like in May.  And it sat and sat and sat.  I had a really hard time starting this book, even though the first sentence gave me goosebumps when I finally did start it.  I knew that this was the end and I didn't want it to end.  Jonathan Maberry is an amazing author but writes a lot of adult books, which I have never read.  I will miss him adding books into the YA lexicon because they are so good.

Another reason I didn't want to start this book is that Flesh & Bone, while being very good, was also so dark. I wasn't sure I wanted to get into that again.  Here are my reviews for the other books in this series:  Rot & Ruin, Dust & Decay, Flesh & Bone. I fell in love with Benny & Tom Imura in Rot & Ruin, cried and cried in Dust & Decay, and cringed a lot in Flesh & Bone.  I wasn't sure what emotions Fire & Ash would bring out in me, and I didn't think I was ready.  After one of my fellow teachers read it and told me how much she loved it, I decided to stop being a baby and get going.

It was so good and so tense and so violent and so wonderful.

I don't want to say a lot except this:  Jonathan Maberry knows how to end a series.  I have stuck with this series through four years and four books.  I have been loyal:  posting reviews, stalking the author on facebook and twitter and hounding contacts and Simon & Schuster for ARCs.   I have gotten many readers (adults and teens) in my library hooked on this series as well.  And he rewarded that loyalty with HOPE at the end of this series.  THANK YOU!

To Sum Up:  It was a heck of a ride and one that I will repeat soon.  Please give this series a try.  It is well written and basically one big coming of age story for Benny Imura.  Time reading these books is not time wasted at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment