Image Map

Aug 1, 2013

My Thoughts: Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

4 very yummy soft and frosted ginger cookies.

Cover Love:
Yes, very pretty and definitely has the feel of a fairy tale.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I saw an ad for book 2, Hero, which made me curious about this one.  I don't know how this escaped my notice!  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?
Romance?: Of course!

My Thoughts:
I just adored this book.  I check it out from my public library along with the audio CDs.  I started listening to it on a trip, but switched to the print version because I could read faster than listen.   The audio version is wonderful and got me very hooked in the story.

This is a darling fairy tale and so perfect.  There are a ton of references to other fairy tales and a lot of whimsy and nonsense, but there is also a darkness to this world.  Some true evil!  The dual tones were fun and kept me more engaged in the story. 

I loved Sunday and Rumbold.  One thing I really liked was the way the author discussed the transition for Rumbold between frog to man.  It was hard on his body!  He didn't just wake up a man and start moving around being a man, it was work.  It made him more of a real person rather than just a manly fairy tale prince.

I loved Sunday's family and would like to hear a few more of their stories.  It liked how the author drops us into the middle of this family and their stories.  Sunday is the youngest in the family so there are already siblings who have died and met their own fairy tale princes.  I would love it if we went back someday and heard more about Tuesday and Monday's stories.

The romance between Sunday and Rumbold was very sweet.  I loved that Sunday was so willing to love a frog.  And how she could feel a connection with Rumbold before even finding out he was her frog!

There is a lot of evil in this world as well.  Scary stuff!  The idea of fairy godmothers in this world is interesting because it seems most people have one and they are not always good fairy godmothers but they are still there helping or hindering.

There was just nothing too magical or romantic or fun in the world.  It was fun to visit and I look forward to Saturday's story in Hero!

To Sum Up:  A great new fairy tale that will be big with the reader in my library.  Can't wait to book talk this one!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds enchanting, for a lack of a better word. Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I've been wanting to read this for so long and just downloaded the audio version last week. It sounds like this can be read as a standalone even though there is a sequel? Thanks for the great review! You've gotten me even more excited about this one now.

    ReplyDelete