Image Map

Jul 30, 2013

Tween Tuesday: SYLO by DJ MacHale

3 soft and chocolatey M&M cookies.

Cover Love:
Yes, I think this is eye catching and young male readers wouldn't mind carrying this one around.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I was very curious about the synopsis and after starting to watch Under the Dome this summer I was even more interested in the idea of a town cut off.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
Fourteen-year-old Tucker Pierce prefers to fly under the radar. He’s used to navigating around summer tourists in his hometown on idyllic Pemberwick Island, Maine. He’s content to sit on the sidelines as a backup player on the high school football team. And though his best friend Quinn tells him to “go for it,” he’s too chicken to ask Tori Sleeper on a date. There’s always tomorrow, he figures. Then Pemberwick Island is invaded by a mysterious branch of the U.S. military called SYLO. And sitting on the sidelines is no longer an option for Tucker, because tomorrow may never come.

It’s up to Tucker, Quinn, and Tori to uncover the truth about the singing aircraft that appears only at night—and the stranger named Feit who’s pushing a red crystal he calls the Ruby that brings unique powers to all who take it. Tucker and his friends must rescue not just Pemberwick Island, but the fate of the world—and all before tomorrow is too late.
 
Romance?: No, but some crushes.

My Thoughts:
I was going to do a quick review of this book but ended up feeling I had more to write.  I want you to know there will be some mild spoilers in this review.

This was a very frustrating book to me.  I enjoyed the whole thing, but Tucker, the main character, was very bothersome to me.  I think he was pretty typical for a 14 year old, but as a grown up reader he kind of drove me nuts!

The action came quick and kept me interested in the story.  Here's what bothered me about Tucker--he ignored his instincts.  He said a few times that he wanted to talk to his parents to get answers "more than anything" but he let himself be swayed by two other 14/15 year olds.  Peer pressure, I get that.  But then he put his trust in a guy that he repeatedly told the reader he couldn't stand over talking to his mom or demanding to talk to his dad.  That was the most frustrating part over all!

There are a lot of hints towards things happening and people knowing more than letting on (Olivia) but this book ended without giving a lot of answers.  That bothered me a lot.  Almost to the point that I don't want to wait for book 2 because I will forget all my questions by then!

However, as frustrated as I am by this book I believe that this will be big for readers in my library.  There was a lot of action and relate able characters and a villain that is easy to hate.  My readers will love this one and will be clamoring for books 2!  (I know that first kid I am giving this too as a matter of fact!).

To Sum Up:  Frustrating for this adult reader, but I think it will be very enjoyable for it's targeted audience!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen mixed reviews for this one, so don't feel bad you didn't love it. I don't think I'll be starting this series. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete