Image Map

Dec 14, 2012

My Thoughts: Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin


3 frosted ginger cookies.

Cover Love:  It's ok.  I don't love it though.  I didn't even realize that was a key outline on the cover until I was about 3/4 of the way done.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis really intrigued me.  Here it is from GoodReads:
PARKER PRESCOTT IS an ice princess. Cold, aloof, a snob. At least, that’s what everyone says on Marion Hennessey’s blog. And everyone reads Marion Hennessey’s blog.

Parker Prescott is a middle child. She’s the good one, the dependable one, the one her parents trust. Well . . . she used to be.

Parker Prescott’s parents want her to break up with her boyfriend. But she already did, two weeks ago. And then she realized it was a mistake. He came over. He had the handcuffs in his pocket. Everything went downhill from there. Sort of.

Parker Prescott’s world is changing and she no longer knows who she is. Does anyone?
Romance?: Yes

My Thoughts: 

When I was about 1/2 through the story I still couldn't figure out why everyone called Parker Ice Princess. Maybe because she was so shy, but this book was written from Parker's point of view so we could see her emotions and we knew she wasn't an Ice Princess. It kind of bothered me that everyone pigeonholed her like that.

I really liked Parker though and I liked that her boyfriend was never given a name.   I didn't like how quick she was to believe every bad rumor about him but I do think that's pretty typical of high school relationships.  And from our point of view he was definitely into Parker, she just couldn't see it as well.

This was one of those books where there was so much left unsaid that I didn't pick up on.  Sometimes I would get it, but I felt like a few things went over my head.  I don't love books written like this.  I always feel like I am missing something.  And I often wonder if I am not getting it, would that intended audience get it easier?

I was glad in the end when all the secrets came out.  Parker had to put up with a lot and most of it wasn't her fault.  The book ended on a good hopeful note.

To Sum Up:  Probably a little mature for my library, but a good, contemporary read nonetheless!

Book checked out from my public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment