Image Map

Nov 5, 2012

My Thoughts: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

3.5 M&M cookies.

Cover Love:  YES!  I love the title overlay.  Beautiful.

Why I Wanted to Read This:  These are two of my favorite contemporary authors with Jenny Han's Summer series being one of my most favorite reads of recent years.  I was so excited to hear they'd teamed up for a contemporary trilogy.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:


BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.
Romance?: Yes?

My Thoughts:
Of the main characters, I disliked Kat the most.  I am surprised she could walk at all with the HUGE chip on her shoulder.  Chapters from her point of view were hard for me to read as the story went on because she was so fanatic.  Blech.

I did feel that two of the people they sought revenge on deserved some sort of comeuppance.  But not Alex.  They jumped on that one really quick.  Neither Kat nor Lillia even bothered to ask him to clarify anything, they just jumped on the revenge wagon.  Rennie really needed some sort of take down.  I felt that while the authors did a good job showing me why some of the characters acted the way they did, they never gave me a good reason for why Rennie was such a raving bitch.  She was awful.  Reeve was awful also, and what he did to Mary was icky, but he probably didn't need such a harsh revenge.  Ultimately, if they'd have waited it out a bit his life would've probably gone to pot anyway!

I liked the small seeds that were implanted in this story that will make me more excited to read the next story.  Will Alex ever fess up to being totally in love with Lillia?  What is up with Mary's telekinetic stuff?  Will Kat ever just relax and stop letting the past ruin her present?  I do want to follow this story through!

To Sum Up:  A bit old in subject material and language for my library but I will recommend that my high schools buy it because I know several girls that would enjoy this tale of revenge!

Book sent to me by Simon & Schuster Education & Library department!  Thanks Dawn!!


No comments:

Post a Comment