Image Map

Oct 9, 2012

Tween Tuesday: Unlocking the Spell by ED Baker

4 magical 7-layer bars.

Cover Love:  I do adore this cover.  It is sweet and  whimsical and precious.  Good stuff!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I just loved Annie's first tale in The Wide Awake Princess. (link to my review).  It ended well so I didn't expect there to be a sequel.  I was so excited when I saw there was!  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

Now that Annie has helped her sister Gwendolyn (a.k.a. Sleeping Beauty) wake up from the 100-year curse by finding her beloved prince, you would think that things would get back to normal. Think again! That beloved prince, Beldegard, is stuck in the body of a bear and the only way that Annie can be free of the two irritating lovebirds is to help-by finding the evil dwarf who cast the spell. Luckily, Annie has assistance from handsome prince Liam, and she has many tricks up her non-magical sleeve . . .


Romance?: Yes. It is a fairy tale!

What I Liked:
I just adore Annie.  The thing I like the best is how she is willing to help those she loves even if they manipulate her into helping.  Plus, one of my favorite students ever is named Annie so I love that name.  I associate good things with that name!

There are a lot of little romances in the book, my favorite being Annie and Liam who met in the last book.  But I also like Gwendolyn and Beldegarde.  The fact that Gwendolyn is able to love him even though he is a bear is a nice change to Gwendolyn's story.  She is not all vanity.

I just love the idea of a person that magic has no effect on, but also that can leech magic from people who have been magically blessed.  It makes for some interesting situations for Annie!

I loved how the people of her kingdom started trusting and going to Annie to see if they had been swindled by magic somehow.  In a place that has run a muck with magic a non-magical person is very useful.

I would go on another adventure with Annie and Liam (I do hope they get married soon) anytime!

To Sum Up:  ED Baker's books are very popular in my library and this one will be checked out the rest of the year!

eGalley requested and recieved from Bloomsbury via NetGalley.  Thanks!



1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to try this series. I adore the art. So Disneyesque :)

    ReplyDelete