Image Map

Jul 23, 2012

My Thoughts: Drain You by M. Beth Bloom

4 chocolate chocolate chip cookies

Cover Love:
Meh.  It's okay but not particularly eye catching.

Why I Wanted To Read This:
I am not sure why this one caught my attention but it did.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

Quinlan Lacey's life is a red carpet of weird fashions, hip bands, random parties, and chilling by the pool with her on-and-off BFF Libby. There's also her boring job (minimum wage), a crushed-out coworker (way too interested), her summer plans (nada), and her parents (totally clueless). Then one night she meets gorgeous James, and Quinn's whole world turns crazy, Technicolor, 3-D, fireworks, whatever.

But with good comes bad and unfortunately, Quinn's new romance brings with it some majorly evil baggage. Now, to make things right, she has to do a lot of things wrong (breaking and entering, kidnapping, lying, you name it).

There's normal, and then there's paranormal, and neither are Quinlan's cup of Diet Coke. Staying sane, cool, in love, and alive isn't so easy breezy.


Romance?: Yes!

What I Liked: 
I think this book takes place in the 90's because there were several references to Sassy magazine.  I LOVED Sassy when I was in college.  LOVED.  Any book that references Sassy magazine starts out with a bonus point in my opinion.

The romance between Quinn and James was HOT.  I also loved that the author didn't re-write the book on vampire mythology nor does she go over the vampire mythology that we already know.  Quinn finds out there are vampires and that is that.  Everyone moves along.  I like that the author treats her readers with intelligence that way.  But sometimes I felt like the author expects too much from the reader.  There were things not spoken but that Quinn seemed to know and it took me a few minutes to catch up.  This wasn't a huge deterrent for me though.

There are many, many readers in my school who will enjoy this new vampire book and even though there are a few more grown up moments I think I will add it to my library because it is a good new addition to vampire books.

And Quinn love Diet Coke, but she drinks hers from a can.  I must have mine from a fountain.

To Sum Up:  There are evil vampires, romance, 90's pop culture and California.   I think this one is going to be a hit!

eGalley from HarperTeen via Edelweiss.  Thanks HarperTeen!


1 comment:

  1. O sounds fun! :) You had me at Diet Coke and 90s pop culture.

    ReplyDelete