Image Map

Jun 28, 2012

Review: Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

4 yummy frosted brownies.

Cover Love:  Yes.  This cover definitely says there is a story to tell!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis and cover of this one caught my eye.  Here the synopsis from GoodReads:

Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.

When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.
I Kept Reading Because: 
I wanted Allie to remember what happened that night so that she would be vindicated.

Romance?: Yes.

What I Liked:
I liked Allie.  She was a victim, but the author did a great job of describing how Trip abused her and isolated her during the course of the relationship.  I have no idea how a young girl recovers from that kind of relationship, but the author did a great job showing how Allie started recovering and becoming stronger in her will and personality.

I didn't like how Allie felt she had to hide her memories as they kept coming back to her, but she was afraid of the power and wealth of Trip's parents.  Still, I think that she could have been more trusting of her parents and the detective.

Blake was a very interesting character.  I am not sure he was the best one for Allie to get into a relationship with, but they shared a past and a deep friendship.  Plus, he only wanted her to be happy.

I did not like Allie's mom.  She does improve by the end of the book, but she started out not supporting Allie.  Granted she didn't know what really happened with Trip.  But the fact that she didn't question anything during their whole relationship makes me wonder how observant she really was.  Her dad was better, but had been absent (military) during much of Allie's life.

I loved her brother Andrew and their relationship.  He was the only one (besides Blake) who was observant enough to know what was going on with Allie and Trip.  But, he couldn't do anything about it, being in a wheelchair!

To Sum Up:  A good story about healing after an abusive relationship. 

Book from my public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment