Image Map

Nov 29, 2011

Tween Tuesday: The Agony of Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


4 chocolate chip cookies with bittersweet chocolate chips.

Cover Love: This is not the edition I read, however, I love this cover!

Why I Wanted to Read This: This has been on my list since I heard about it being challenged so often. I had to see what all the fuss was about!

I Kept Reading Because: It was a super quick read and I couldn't sleep.

Romance?: Yes, a smidge.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I know that things do not get me up in arms like they do for other people, but I really didn't see the big deal about this book. Look, if you think you are the best person for you to teach your daughter about puberty, perfect, I hope you do.

However, this book was written about a little girl who does not have a mother. She doesn't have anyone to teach her about puberty. And A LOT of little girls out there are in the same situation. This book lightly touches on some things that have to do with puberty. It is not a manual! Let this book stay on the shelf for those little girls who are not lucky enough to have the support at home!

I adored Alice and totally felt for her. I remember this time of life when you are almost afraid to move for fear that you will embarrass yourself in some way. Ms. Naylor has done such a good job of creating a true to life young girl. One that is attracted to the beauty of a young teacher, but learns to adore her frumpy, older teacher instead. One that learns small life lessons along the way and is able to reflect on them to better herself.

This book ended on a good note and could have been a stand alone book, but I am so glad that I get to continue on with Alice's journey! I already grabbed the second one off my shelf!

To Sum Up: A great middle grade book for those young girls who are having a hard time navigating the waters of puberty and growing up!

**OMGosh Phyllis Reynolds Naylor has written so many books! She is amazing!**

Tween Tuesday is hosted by Sarah, the GreenBeanTeenQueen. Thanks Sarah!

2 comments:

  1. A book like this could be SO IMPORTANT for some poor girls out there without mom support. It is without question the toughest time in a young girl's life--and oh-so-awkward and uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think books like this are so important to have in the library and available for tweens! I haven't read any of the Alice books, but I have a co-worker who grew up with them and still reads them because she loves them so much.

    ReplyDelete