Image Map

Nov 17, 2011

Books I Am Thankful For: Dystopians

If Twilight brings them to YA books, The Hunger Games keeps them there. (case in point, the secretary in our school whipped through The Hunger Games trilogy and then demanded more books. I gave her the Chaos Walking trilogy because it is in a similar vein. She loved that one as well. Now she's onto Graceling and I have a list going for her next reads. Made of awesome I say!)

The first dystopian book I remember reading and really enjoying was The Giver by Lois Lowry. I might have read one before that, but this is the one that sticks out in my mind. This was way back before there was even a term for these books. After The Giver I discovered John Christopher who wrote the Tripods series (I wrote about those books here)--simply awesome books.

A few years ago I discovered the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Among the hidden, Among the Imposters, etc...) another excellent dystopian series that is perfect for middle schoolers.

Thanks to The Hunger Games, this genre has flooded the market. Some of them are excellent, some of them are OK. But it is always fun to imagine a future world.

And people read them, they love to. I am prepping a dystopian book talk for 8th graders and can't even find most of the books I wanted to talk about on my shelves because they are alwasy checked out!

So, keep them coming!

1 comment:

  1. A few months ago I got an iPhone as a birthday present...I love reading books, because I have so many things to learn from all of them....
    A friend suggested me all you can books, a great e-books site with many e-books.
    Now reading on my iPhone became my new hobby, and what I love about e-books is that if you finish one, you can download another book instantly, without searching it days or even weeks.

    ReplyDelete