Image Map

Feb 25, 2011

Review: Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton


4 chewy peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love: Meh. Don't really love this.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
Actually this was one of those pleasant surprises that comes along every now and again. I got it from Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab program and knew it was about to be released. So I had to read it. I started it to give it a try and found I really enjoyed it! Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued. She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her. Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.


I Kept Reading Because:
It was well written and fast paced. Easy and enjoyable to read!

Romance?: Yes!!

What I Liked (& Didn't):
First of all, I loved the setting. The author's descriptions of New 2 were so vivid. It is a very unique world that the book was set in.

I loved the mythology: Ari's curse, the Novem, the destruction of New Orleans. This is a story I will follow to see how it gets resolved.

The chemistry between Sebastian and Ari was palpable! Great stuff.

My favorite was how Ari bucked up to accept and face her problems in the end. No more martyr, just taking the steps to own her powers and be strong.

What I Would Like to See:
I want Ari to find her father. I want her to truly discover all she is capable of and to continue to grow in that. I want her to trust and learn to love Sebastian. I alos want to know what his secrets are...

To Sum Up: Good stuff! Great start to a series that I will be following.

Book received from Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab program! Love them!

3 comments:

  1. Surprise! Do you see what I do when I have a few free minutes?! He he he. I sneak away to read the Milk & Cookies blog. It's what all the best-friend-wanna-be's are doing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an award for you on my blog :)
    http://booksandacupoftea.blogspot.com/2011/02/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, this book sounds awesome!! I had never heard about it before your review :) thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete