Image Map

Jan 4, 2011

Tween Tuesday: Cover Love--Brandon Dorman


I realized something the other day as I started reading The Carnival of Lost Souls by Laura Quimby. The cover art was done by Brandon Dorman. The other thing I realized is that he has done the covers of a lot of the middle grade books I have loved over the last few years. For example, all of the Fablehaven covers. I love Fablehaven and the covers are all genius! He also did Savvy and Scumble, both of which have a bit of different look than the ones above.

Mr. Dorman has also done several picture books, but his covers are very eye catching for middle grade readers. There is a definite style to them--I think I could pick out a Dorman cover pretty easily. They are colorful, the characters are realistic and aspects from each story are woven into each cover.

He has done so many more covers that I didn't even realize. Check out an Amazon search of his name, you will recognize quite a few!

He also has a blog with recent samples of his work--he is re-doing the Goosebumps Horrorland covers, I know they will be a hit with middle school readers. He is definitely one of my favorite illustrators and cover artists working today.

Tween Tuesday is hosted by Sarah at GreenBeanTeenQueen. Check her out!

4 comments:

  1. Ok, those covers kill me with their greatness! I'd read them based on that alone! Great feature :)

    I'm a new follower by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all great covers-and you're right-very appealing for MG readers! Thanks for pointing them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I want to pick all of those up just from the cover alone! I've heard such great things about the Fablehaven series. Have you reviewed them here? I'll have to poke around and check...

    And Goosebumps books are like The BSC! Such milestones of my childhood, and they really never die! I have a feeling that my own future kids will be reading Goosebumps in 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ALL those covers! I didn't realize they were the same artist - I probably should have, though! Great post, Jana! :-)

    ReplyDelete