Image Map

Nov 18, 2010

Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

4 soft & chewy chocolate crinkles!

Cover Love: Yes! Beautiful girl with just a hint of supernatural on her skin. I love this cover!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
Mostly the cover, it is so eye-catching. Then there was the online buzz this summer and the fact that it is about a species of beings that are descended from dragons...and I love dragons. Here's the synopsis from good reads:

A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

I Kept Reading Because: It was really good. Engrossing story, a new breed of mythical creatures, a likable heroine and a hot guy! The recipe for a great story.

Romance?: Yes. A very nice romance.

What I Liked (& Didn't): There was a lot to like in this story. I liked Jacinda, she was a strong character who was taken out of her element. She tried to make the best of it and went through several scenarios on how to survive and still be a draki. She was determined to not let the apart of her die, no matter how much her mother wanted that...

Speaking of that, I didn't like her mother. I get that she was doing what she thought would keep Jacinda safe, but there was no argument she could make that what she was doing was actually best for Jacinda. She was really torn between her two daughters and their old life and a the hope for a new life. But, I don't think she made good decisions.

Luckily she wasn't around that much...she got a night time job and then had to take a little trip. I really dislike that whole "missing" parent aspect of a lot of young adult novels (the outright neglect of Grace in Shiver is always on my mind), but I at least like a plausible explanation and a night time job works for me.

Will!! I loved Will. What a swoon-worthy guy. I was so glad when Jacinda came to her senses and let herself go with him. I have no doubt she will get over her huge disappointment of him at the end and in book two he will come back as her true knight in shining armor.

I did like the cliffhanger! It sets up a good plot for the next book, which I am hoping comes out soon!

What I Would Like to See: I want Jacinda's mom to admit she was wrong. I also want Jacinda to embrace her power. If the pride needs her so bad I think there is some bargaining room there. They need her, so if they do what they plan to her, she can just let her draki die and then they won't have their fire breathers. she has way more power with the pride than she has actually thought about.

I want Will to come to the rescue and for them to live happily ever after!

To Sum Up: I am getting this for my library and when I have a reader ask for a romance with a supernatural element I will hand her Firelight.

Book requested and received from Ariana at HarperTeen! Thanks so much!


4 comments:

  1. Every time I see this cover, I think it's Nicole Kidman. Is that just me? Great review!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AGREE!! She is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it! Couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, I've never even heard of this one! I like the idea of Drakis... Something about it makes me think of Fire by Kristen Cashore. Maybe it's the protagonist trying to come to terms with her special powers, or maybe it's just the red hair :)

    ReplyDelete