Image Map

Oct 1, 2010

Book Review: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

5 wonderful chocolate chip cookies!

Cover Love: It's fine. Nice color combination but nothing overly eye catching.

Why I Wanted to Read This: The buzz! I was all over the internet for a while there this summer. And it is already being made into a movie, and I always have to read the book before I see the movie. Here's the synopsis from good reads:
Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.


I Kept Reading Because: It was awesome. My attention was grabbed from the start. The writing was good and I found it very hard to put down.

Romance?: Yes. A great romance! I loved Sarah and John's (Four's) romance. It was a great addition to the story--and I am interested to see where it goes.

What I Liked (& Didn't): I loved the alien mythology. All of the little questions that had creeped into my mind when I first read the synopsis were answered to my satisfaction, except one: I am still unsure about why John & his fellow aliens are being hunted. I guess there are several reasons, but I didn't feel that was fully answered. I think a seed was planted that will probably be discussed more in the next book, but I am not sure.

I love that the aliens have powers and train at using them.

Since I knew the movie was being filmed and who was cast in what role, I liked that as I read I was already able to assign "faces" to each character.

Action! I loved the action!!

**Slight Spoiler**(highlight to read) I liked that they (Henri and Four) let a few people in on their secret. I always hate how characters with a big secret whine about the burden of the secret, so I was glad they included a few people. It allowed them to stop running and gain some confidence.

I liked the romance and the relationship between Four and Henri.

The trailer for the movie just came out:


Looks awesome--I am so excited! Plus I love Alex Pettyfer ever since he was Alex Rider, you know how I love Alex Rider!

What I Would Like To See: I am wondering if there will be a love triangle, which will be interesting because I don't think there are many one guy and two girl loves triangle in YA books.

I also can't wait to see what the rest of the Legacies Four develops are (including his major one).

And I want to know why they are being so hunted and what happens when they are finally find each other!

To Sum Up: Loved this book, will recommend it to many a middle school student this year and can't wait for the movie!!

Book bought from local bookstore.

3 comments:

  1. I can not wait to read this. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Jana! Wyatt loved this one too, so I'm sure I'll be reading it very soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Great review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete