Image Map

Apr 12, 2010

Top Ten Countdown, My Thoughts

So, the top book was posted today. It should surprise no one that the winner was Charlotte's Web. A very good choice, one that I also adore. I was pleased to see that I have read all of the top ten choices (except The Phantom Tollbooth--I just can never get through that book!). Here are the top ten and my thoughts:

10. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
9. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montogmery
8. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
**I was glad that these two were the classics that made it onto the list. I find both of these ones easy to read and easy to pass on to children.**
7. The Giver by Lois Lowry
6. Holes by Louis Sachar
5. From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by EL Konigsburg
4. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
**So glad this one made it so high. I am tired of the HP backlash when the same people that whine about HP are the ones that ate up the books as they came out. I doubt we will ever again see such a phenomenon in children's publishing, but I really hope we do!**
2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
*I didn't get this one read until I was about 26. I would start it, but could never get through it! Finally, I read it all the way through and I adored it! What a good book. I recommend it to strong readers once a week at school.**
1. Charlotte's Web by EB White

But, of the ones on my top ten list seven of them made it on the top 100. That's pretty good I think! Here is a complete list of the top 100 (sorry for the cross outs--I was keeping track of ones I read).

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I'm pleased to say I've read all of them. I love how many of them are books that have held up over time. My tween book club read both The Mixed-Up Files and The Secret Garden within the past year, and they still relate to the characters and their struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a lot on the list as well but some of them I read years ago. It would be fun to go back and read them again...
    Great list-thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete