Image Map

Mar 2, 2010

Tween Tuesday: Love Ruby Lavendar


Have you read this book? If not, run to the library and check it out. Deborah Wiles has written three books about this same area of small towns, there are very few cross over characters, but they are such good books. (the other two are Each Little Bird That Sings and The Aurora County All Stars). Anyway, Ruby was brought to my attention by a fifth grade friend of mine. She read it and raved about it. It is the story of Ruby and her grandmother, Miss Eula, who are best friends. They do everything together, so when Miss Eula goes to visit a new grand baby Ruby does not know how to "be" without her grandmother. She learns just who she is when she discovers she can make new friends and have adventures without her grandmother. I love the deception of life in a small town, and Ms. Wiles is sure a good writer. This is just a cozy book to read.

The Aurora County All Stars has a boy as a protagonist, but I haven't gotten any boy readers to try it out yet. This is one of my goals this year. I want all types of readers to discover slower books, the ones that have a character and story as the centerpiece, not just action. Because when they discover books like this, they also discover books written about kids that have a lot in common with themselves.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one. Each Little Bird That Sings was on our state book award list a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete