Image Map

Apr 10, 2009

the Beverly Cleary pilgrimage

Since January I have listened to almost all of the Henry Huggins books and most of the Ramona books with my sons. We load them on an ipod and drive around listening to books. These are ones I have wanted to read to them, but never seem to find the time. Plus Neil Patrick Harris narrates the Henry Huggins books and does an incredible job. So, when we headed to Portland for spring break I was determined to find the Beverly Cleary Tribute Garden I had read about. I alos wanted to find the actual Klickitat Street. Well, we did it all and it was so cool. My boys loved seeing the statues, they were in a park that was very nice and it was a beautiful day so we had time to play. Then we drove up a few blocks and found Klickitat Street. I did choke up a bit when I found it! Here are the pictures from this wonderful day!




I know I read all the Ramona and Henry books growing up, and I am pretty sure I read them again in high school or college. Either that or I remembered them really good because as the boys and I have been listening to them I remember things that happened. At the very least it's been at least 15 years since I read them (but probably longer) so obviously I hold them near and dear to my heart. If I had the energy (and I might someday) I would search out vintage copies of them for my own collection. For now, I really enjoy listening to them. I do have to admit that I have more fondness for Henry right now. First of all, he's a boy. That's pretty much right up my alley. And his books are so much about boyhood. Also, his were all written in the 50's and early 60's so it is a much more innocent time. Ramona's book were written up through the 80's and the author brought each book into the time it was written. That's fine and all, but I really love the nostalgia of Henry's books. The only two we haven't heard and Henry and Ribsy (no audio version that I can find) and Ribsy (I am buying this audio version soon).

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer1:03 PM

    Thank you so much for the pictures of the garden!! I definitely want to go there.
    I wrote an essay about Mrs. Cleary that can be found here:
    http://www.redroom.com/articlestory/drop-everything-and-read

    ReplyDelete