Image Map

Dec 2, 2014

My Thoughts: Wild by Alex Mallory


3 chocolate chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love:  I do think this is an eye catching cover.  I love the simple title and how it bisects the cover.

Why I Want to Read This:
I always get fascinated by stories of people living off the grid or making their way in the wild.  In this day, when there is so much technology and so many people it just doesn't seem possible.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
The forest is full of secrets, and no one understands that better than Cade. Foraging, hunting, surviving— that’s all he knows. Alone for years, Cade believes he’s the sole survivor. At least, until he catches a glimpse of a beautiful stranger…

Dara expected to find natural wonders when she set off for a spring break camping trip. Instead, she discovers a primitive boy— he’s stealthy and handsome and he might be following her. Intrigued, Dara seeks him out and sets a catastrophe in motion.

Thrust back into society, Cade struggles with the realization that the life he knew was a lie. But he’s not the only one. Trying to explain life in a normal town leaves Dara questioning it.

As the media swarm and the police close in, Dara and Cade risk everything to get closer. But will the truth about Cade’s past tear them apart?

Romance?:  Yes.  One of the taglines I read has this as a YA Tarzan retelling and I think that's a good description.

My Thoughts:
I felt it took to long to get to any answers about Cade.  I almost gave up because I really wanted to learn about what caused his mom and dad to take him into the woods. 

Dara's mom and dad were very bothersome.  For two people who were used to working with at-risk youth I understand that they were suspicious of Cade.  However, neither of them seemed to get over their biased at all to see that he wasn't acting, he wasn't lying, and that he was terrified.  Seriously, it made me really wonder for what kind of cop Dara's dad really was--not very good if he can't get a read on a person he is questioning!

I also wonder why nobody thought to take Cade back out to the woods, either to prove or disprove his story.  They were so intent on not believing him that they didn't even think he might be telling the truth.

When we got to the reason that Cade's parents took him into the forest I had a hard time buying it,  mostly because there were two people making the decision.   I can understand the knowledge of what goes on in this world, and what could possible go on, weighing a person down so much that they feel the need to escape.  However, I have a husband to balance me out and family to talk me out of anything rash.  It's interesting that Cade's father just went along with it.  We don't learn much about him though.

I didn't like the ending.  There will be a spoiler here so highlight if you want to read it:

I just don't think Cade could go back.  He knows too much now, let alone the fact that what his parents thought would happen, didn't.  He also has felt love and knows there are other people who care about him in the world now. I don't think he could last back out in the wild.  It would make for an interesting sequel if he decided to come be part of civilization.

To Sum Up:
Interesting read that I think will be a big hit with my middle schoolers--romance and adventure and taming a wild boy--it has a lot of attractive elements!

Book from my school library collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment