Image Map

Aug 18, 2015

My Thoughts: Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca

4 double fudge brownies.

Cover Love:
I like this and know it would be eye catching for readers in my library.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
Sometimes when I am in a reading slump the only thing that gets me out of it is reading a contemporary teen romance.  I reached for this about a month ago for that very reason and it worked!  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

Before:
Kelsey and David became best friends the summer before freshman year and were inseparable ever after. Until the night a misunderstanding turned Kelsey into the school joke, and everything around her crumbled—including her friendship with David. So when Kelsey's parents decided to move away, she couldn't wait to start over and leave the past behind. Except, David wasn't ready to let her go...

After:
Now it's senior year and Kelsey has a new group of friends, genuine popularity, and a hot boyfriend. Her life is perfect. That is, until David's family moves to town and he shakes up everything. Soon old feelings bubble to the surface and threaten to destroy Kelsey's second chance at happiness. The more time she spends with David, the more she realizes she never truly let him go. And maybe she never wants to.

Told in alternating sections, LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE is a charming and romantic debut about loving, leaving, and letting go.
Romance?: Yes, of course.

My Thoughts:
I really liked this romance and story between Kelsey and David.  The main reason is that both teens are very true to life.  David is not that perfect teen boy that lots of YA romances make their main boy.  He's flawed and has a hard time communicating and  doing the right thing.  Kelsey is too focused on what people think of her and cultivating an image.  I have met both of these teens in real life!

The biggest problem with Kelsey is that she doesn't know what she wants.  She wants the David she grew up with and probably a romance with David, but tells all her friends she doesn't.  Then gets upset when one of her friends goes out with him.  David knows he wants Kelsey, but since she is making it so difficult (and already has a boyfriend) he moves on, but never far away.

They make several mistakes (including making out while they both still have significant others), but eventually get out of their own heads long enough to realize they want and need to be together.

I remember my own teenage years and I have two teenagers in my house.  I know the difficulties teens have in  navigating relationships--whether it's just someone they are dating or whether it's someone they are in love with.  I think Gina Ciocca has done a great job of putting those struggles on paper.  This was a great read!

To Sum Up:  More true to life than a lot of teen romances I read, but I truly enjoyed it.  Would be a great read for teens!

Galley sent to me by Simon & Schuster.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment