Over the past few weeks I have gotten quite a bounty of books in the mail. Some I requested, some I entered contests to win, and some surprises. Since I know I am not going to get them all read I decided I wanted to highlight them here and tell you what I think sounds great about each book. Today are the books I have gotten from Simon & Schuster. I was fortunate enough to get a box of upcoming summer releases and there are some really good ones in this box. The best things about the books they sent is that there were a bunch that had escaped my notice that I know will be big hits in my library.
1. Crown of Three by JD Rinehart. I hadn't heard anything about this book until I opened this box. It looks great and I think will be a big hit with my students. The synopsis kind of reminded me of a few fantasy series that my kids like--Ranger's Apprentice and the False Prince. I might loan this to one of my stronger readers over spring break and get his opinion.
2. The Orphan Army (Nightsiders #1) by Jonathan Maberry. If you know anything about me by reading this blog you know that I LOVED the ROT & RUIN series by Jonathan Maberry. Not a single one of those books failed, he kept the series amped up all the way through (although the third one was pretty dark). I am not sure about the sunopsis of this book but Mr. Maberry has earned my loyalty and I am excited to give this one a try.
3. Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca. YA romance. Looks really good, maybe a little deeper than your typical YA romance. Will probably rip right through this one.
4. Chantress Fury by Amy Butler Greenfield. It wasn't until right now, while writing this post that I realized this one was the third in a series. The synopsis doesn't read like it is the third and I think it sounds really interesting. I think I will give this one a try without reading the other two first.
5. River Runs Deep by Jennifer Bradbury. This sounds like such a good historical fiction book.
6. Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls by Lynn Weingarten. This one sounds heartbreaking. A broken friendship and a mystery. I had already downloaded the egalley of this one because it sounded so amazing.
7. Shackled by Tom Leveen. This is also one I hadn't heard of until I opened the box, but it's the one I ended up throwing in my bag for school today. I doubt I will get it started but it sounds so creepy and suspensful. Haven't read any Tom Leveen yet, but always heard good things!
8. Attack of the Alien Horde by Robert Venditti. Again one I hadn't heard of, but after flipping through it I went and added it to my order for next fall. It is a combo super hero/graphic novel. I think this is going to be really big with the middle grade set!
9. Cosmoe's Wiener Getaway by Mac Brallier & Rachel Maguire. Again one that went right on my order for next fall. This is a graphic novel that will be loved by Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Big Nate readears!
10. Dime by E. R. Frank. Hadn't heard of this one at all, but wow, it sounds so heart breaking. It's about teen prostitution and I have a feeling that it will be a story that grabs on from the beginning and won't let go.
11. The Secret Cookie Club by Martha Freeman. Sounds like a sweet, quick, fun read that might be perfect after I read Dime!
Thanks so much for the books Simon & Schuster. I am grateful for you bringing several of these to my attention. Will pass along reviews as I get them read!