Image Map

Feb 20, 2015

My Thoughts: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

4 soft and sweet frosted sugar cookies.

Cover Love:  Yes!  I like having a visual for Anna on the front.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
Because I had just read Isla and the Happily Ever After and I wanted to see Josh and Isla from Anna's eyes.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?
Romance?: Yes.

My Thoughts:
There are a few reasons I didn't read Anna and the French Kiss when it first came out.  I actually had started it, but gave up pretty quickly because I didn't think I could get over a few things.  One was the gap in Anna's teeth.  That drives me nuts, but I found it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  Second, the fact that St. Clair had a girlfriend.  I do get tired of unrequited love.  Third was that it took place in Paris.  For some reason I do not love books that take place in foreign countries, not sure why.  But I had just finished Isla and the Happily Ever After and knew I wanted to give this one a try.  Glad I did!

I very quickly got over all my issues and dove right into the story of Anna and St. Clair.  Stephanie Perkins does such a good job writing true teenagers, even the secondary characters.  I adored St. Clair, almost as much as I loved Cricket Bell (from Lola and the Boy Next Door).  I enjoyed Anna and the growing she was able to do during her year.  I liked getting to know these two, but wished that they got together earlier in the book.  The unrequited part, on both their sides, lasted a bit too long for me.  And there was the whole other wrinkle of Meredith liking St. Clair too.  I wish that hadn't been in there to layer guilt upon Anna and St. Clair.

I actually really liked the setting.  I always wanted to go to boarding school (never in Paris) so I loved reading about these teens learning to live on their own.  (Now that I am a parent I couldn't even imagine sending my own child away to boarding school!!)

The chemistry!  Oh, man, it was so good.  I longed for Anna and St. Clair to just finally get together!!

To Sum Up:  Another great teen romance!  I do have this in my library and while there was some sex talk and swearing, it seemed to be the lightest of all Ms. Perkins books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment