Image Map

Jul 2, 2014

My Thoughts: After the End by Amy Plum

3 chocolate chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love:  Yes.  I think this cover is eye catching and because it raises questions that make you want to read the book.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis!  It sounded so good.  Here the synopsis from GoodReads:


World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there.
At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life.
When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie.
Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.
Romance?: Yes.

My Thoughts:
For some reason this book didn't really work for me.   I found it pretty slow moving and I didn't feel the chemistry between the main characters.  However, I wanted to keep reading it because I really wanted Juneau to meet up with her clan and get some answers from the adults.  Unfortunately it ended before that happened.  I am not really sure that I will keep reading to hear the answers that Juneau is looking for.

Despite all that I will be buying it for my library.  I think this is a book that middle grade readers will love.  There is so much to think about as this story progresses--why this group of people chose to move to Alaska, why they lied to their children, what is up with Juneau's eye, why does Miles dad want Juneau so bad, etc...  I think this would be a GREAT book to read for a middle school book club and will probably try to do that this next year.

To Sum Up:  I think this will be big with its intended audience and will be buying a few copies for my library.  It will be fun to booktalk this one in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment