Image Map

Jan 15, 2014

My Thoughts: Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt

 3 bittersweet chocolate cookies.

Cover Love:  It's okay.  nothing that really stands out for me!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis really caught my eye, especially the part that talks about Mia keeping her disease a secret.  I was very interested to see how she pulled that off!  Here is it from Good Reads:
Mia is always looking for signs. A sign that she should get serious with her soccer-captain boyfriend. A sign that she’ll get the grades to make it into an Ivy-league school. One sign she didn’t expect to look for was: “Will I survive cancer?” It’s a question her friends would never understand, prompting Mia to keep her illness a secret. The only one who knows is her lifelong best friend, Gyver, who is poised to be so much more. Mia is determined to survive, but when you have so much going your way, there is so much more to lose. From debut author Tiffany Schmidt comes a heart-wrenching and ultimately uplifting story of one girl’s search for signs of life in the face of death.

Romance?:  Yes.  Mia has two good guys to chose from!

My Thoughts:
I already talked a little bit about this book and my feelings on reading books about sick kids.  Check it out.

I liked Mia but the whole way that she and her family went about dealing with this cancer was infuriating!  I think it was supposed to be, but I spent most of the book shaking my head at her and wanting to throttle her mom.  I hoped that the end would be good with Mia finally getting a backbone and standing up to her mom and that was my main motivation for finishing up this book.  I got so frustrated at times I wanted to throw it across the room!

There was one nurse that Mia started listening to, but he wasn't in the book much.  I wish he had been a little bigger character.

I actually really liked both the boys looking for her attention.  It was hard to be rooting just for Gyver because the other one, Ryan, really steps up for her as well.  It was not totally black and white.

Mia really, really needed to give her friends a chance to help her out.  I think one of my problems with this book is that we really didn't get to know the "pre-cancer" Mia at all.  I don't know how cancer changed her and what people thought of her before.  It bothered me that she was so tight with these girls and she let her mom talk her out of telling them  She didn't even give them the chance to act the way she expected them to.

Mia's mom was just truly awful.  The thing that struck me (and I know this is not her mom's story) was who did her mom have to talk to?  When my son got sick (not cancer, but health issues), I talked to everybody.  I know that's not really usual (especially for me) but so many people have been through rough things and have advice or just a shoulder to lean on, that I found myself opening up a lot.  Her mom didn't give herself the chance to cope with this because she just wanted to pretend it was chicken pox, or whatever.

To Sum It Up:  Interesting coming of age story with cancer as the backdrop.  I think many girl readers in my library will enjoy the combination of romance and cancer in this one!

Bought for my school library.

No comments:

Post a Comment