Image Map

Jan 2, 2013

My Thoughts: Altered by Jennifer Rush

3.5 white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

Cover Love: Yes. I love this cover! It makes me want to pick up this book and read it!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I started seeing ads and review for this and was very intrigues by the premise.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

When you can’t trust yourself, who can you believe?

Everything about Anna’s life is a secret. Her father works for the Branch at the helm of its latest project: monitoring and administering treatments to the four genetically altered boys in the lab below their farmhouse. There’s Nick, Cas, Trev . . . and Sam, who’s stolen Anna’s heart. When the Branch decides it’s time to take the boys, Sam stages an escape, killing the agents sent to retrieve them.

Anna is torn between following Sam or staying behind in the safety of her everyday life. But her father pushes her to flee, making Sam promise to keep her away from the Branch, at all costs. There’s just one problem. Sam and the boys don’t remember anything before living in the lab—not even their true identities.

Now on the run, Anna soon discovers that she and Sam are connected in more ways than either of them expected. And if they’re both going to survive, they must piece together the clues of their past before the Branch catches up to them and steals it all away.
Romance?:  Unrequited but maybe a start.

My Thoughts:
I had a hard time connecting with Anna.  I just didn't love how she pines for Sam.  He's not the one I would pick, but I can see her attraction to him.  I just get so tired of the quiet girl loving a boy who doesn't pay her much attention back.  Sam doesn't treat her badly because he has a mission in mind.  He can't be distracted.  But, she is also so sheltered that I think her immaturity about her feelings towards Sam come from her lack of life experience.

The whole idea of this Branch and the experiments needs to be explored more in future books.  There were more questions left unanswered by the end.  

I like Trev and Cas but not really Nick or Sam.  Nick was an angry ass and Sam was just hard to pin down.  He was so focused on solving his mystery--which he should have been!  I really wanted more backstory on all of them.  How did they get involved in the Branch?  What exactly are their powers?

To Sum Up:  I enjoyed this read and am intrigued by this new world.  I will be looking forward to the next book!

I requested and received a copy of this book from Little Brown. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment