Image Map

Oct 2, 2012

Tween Tuesday: The Icarus Project by Laura Quimby

4 yummy oatmeal creme filled sandwiches.

Cover Love:
YES!  When I first looked at this I didn't look closely.  Once I got started reading it I looked closer and saw many hints to the story there.  I love the cover!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis caught my interest and I felt it would be a good middle grade book for my readers.  Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:

More than anything, Maya wants to discover something incredible. Her parents are scientists: Her mother spends most of her time in tropical rainforests, uncovering ancient artifacts, and her dad is obsessed with digging up mammoths. When her father gets invited by an eccentric billionaire to lead a team investigating a mammoth’s remains in the Arctic, Maya begs to come along. Upon her arrival at the isolated camp, the mammoth is quickly revealed to be a fake, but there is something hidden in the ice—something unbelievable. Along with a team of international experts, each with his or her own agenda and theory about the mystery in the ice, Maya learns more about this discovery, which will change her life forever.
Romance?:   Nope. It's very middle grade.

What I Liked:
I really liked Maya.  She knows what she wants to do when she grows up but she is open minded enough to adjust her goals as she learns more about archeology.  She also tries to do the right thing.

I also liked how the adults were present but really Maya and her friend Kyle were able to put things right on their own.  Although they got advice from the adults, they also figured things out and solved problems themselves. 

I really enjoyed the story of what is discovered in the ice.  It was wondrous and magical and special.  It would've been very interesting to see what would've happened if it had made it's way back to civilization.

I think one thing I enjoyed most was that there wasn't anything really menacing about the story.  There were people who were not so nice, but the entity in the ice was not scary.  Just magical.  We got to see the wonder of discovering a new species through Maya and Kyle's eyes and  the wonder of discovering a new world through the entity's eyes.  It was magical and special.

To Sum Up:   I will be buying this for my library.  Many young readers will enjoy this tale!

Book sent from publisher for review.  Thanks Amulet!

No comments:

Post a Comment