Image Map

Mar 26, 2012

Review: Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

4 good tasting 7 layer bars!

Cover Love:  I think this cover is awesome, however, I don't think it fits the book in tone or plot very well.

Why I Wanted to Read This:  a few weeks ago I had an interesting twitter conversation with Carrie Harris & Joanne Levy about 80's style hair.  Because of this hysterical post Carrie did on her blog.  She seemed like such a fun person I went right out and got this book from my public library.  Here's the synopsis from Good Reads:
Someone's been a very bad zombie.
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steriods are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate! She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town  . . . and stay hormonally human.
I Kept Reading Because: It was fun and action packed.

Romance?: The start of one.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I adored Kate.  She is a nerd who is just coming into her own with her brains and beauty, but she doesn't realize that.  And she is the one everyone turns to when things start spiraling out of control.  She is like a nerd Buffy.

Aaron (Kate's football playing crush) wasn't in the book as much as I'd hoped, but what I saw of him I really liked.  Not your typical football player, but a super sweet guy who is crushing on Kate!  I really want to see more of that relationship in the next book!

This is a book that doesn't take itself too seriously..  Serious things happen, but the overall tone is light and there is quite a bit of humor.  It's like Kate cannot quite believe the situation she is in so she just makes light of it.  But she works hard to come up with a solution.

So, this was a character driven novel for me.  The plot was fun and fast paced, but I really liked the people.

To Sum Up:  I am buying this for my library because it has zombies, action, romance and a great main character!  I look forward to Kate's next adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment