Image Map

Mar 13, 2012

Retro Tween Tuesday: Deathwatch by Robb White

3 chewy & chocolatey peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love:  It's okay.  I do love the fingers gripping the side of the cliff in the foreground.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I had a teacher come in looking for this book for a read-aloud for his class.  He recalled reading it and loving it.  When a teacher raves about a book they remember I always want to give it a try!  Here's the synopsis from Wikipedia:
Deathwatch's plot features a skilled and successful hunter and lawyer, Madec, who receives a rare permit to shoot bighorn sheep in California's Mojave desert. He hires a timid college student named Ben, who is going to help show Madec where the bighorn are. After accidentally shooting an old prospector, Ben refuses to keep it a secret and tries to get Madec to admit his mistake. As Madec is too important to sit in jail, he decides to eliminate the only witness to the crime, Ben.
I Kept Reading Because: I was super suspenseful. It lagged a bit in the middle, but it was short book and it didn't take long to get past that part.

Romance?: Nope.

What I Liked (& Didn't): 
 The writer certainly did what he needed to with the characters.  I was rooting for Ben and I hated Madec.

I don't know if I have ever told you, but I have a flaw in my reading abilities.  I have a very hard time picturing things in my head so when an author spends a lot of time describing how something looks I get bored.  Because the setting was definitely another character in the book the author spent a lot of time describing it, so I did skip sections. 

The time Ben spent trying to survive in the desert was tense.  There was action, but most of it was psychological.  Madec was always one step ahead!  And when they finally made it back to town Madec was one step ahead there too!!  That last part made me so angry and uptight.  It was great.

As I was reading I was explaining the plot to my younger son he got totally into it.  I had to give it to him to read after I got done!

To Sum Up:
Quick read with lots of suspense.  I think this one would be a hit with many male readers!

Book from my library collection!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like one my basic level and Ag boys would love!

    ReplyDelete