Image Map

Feb 1, 2012

Dystopian-ed Out (The Non-Dystopian Week)

I am reading a dystopian book right now.  It's actually pretty good, but the world that has been created is so horrible that I don't even know why people are fighting to save it.  Because you have to feel hope when you are reading a dystopian.

I feel like I am being cheated a bit by this genre.  There are so many of them that have been published and that are being published that I am having a hard time remembering the wonder of those first ones that I liked:  the ones by Lois Lowry (the Giver), and John Christopher (the Tripods series).  Even The Hunger Games which really ignited this genre for today's readers.

And it's okay.  There are a lot of readers out there still looking for good dystopians, and I will get back to reading dystopians,  I know I will.  But for now, I want something anti-dystopian.  So I am going to have non-dystopian week.  February 20-24 I am going to focus on light books about the here and now that offer hope and fun.

I already have a bunch in mind, but what about you?  What books do you think are anti-dystopian?  And would you like to participate?

3 comments:

  1. This just made me laugh and nod my head in agreement :) And I'm SO CURIOUS about what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! I need to do something like that. I'm starting to miss light reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comment about John Christopher and I'm so sorry it took so long to publish it. We're crazy busy here. I'd also like to know what light here and now book you'll read. (hint, hint--Alvin Ho!)

    ReplyDelete