Image Map

Jan 2, 2012

Review: My Life Undecided by Jessica Brody

4 yummy snickerdoodles.

Cover Love: Yes! It is clean and appealing.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I loved Jessica's book The Karma Club and the synopsis for this one sounded so intriguing! Here it is from GoodReads:
PLEASE READ THIS! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Okay, maybe that was a bit melodramatic, but I’m sorry, I’m feeling a bit melodramatic at the moment.

Here’s the deal. My name is Brooklyn Pierce, I’m fifteen years old, and I am decisionally challenged. Seriously, I can’t remember the last good decision I made. I can remember plenty of crappy ones though. Including that party I threw when my parents were out of town that accidentally burned down a model home. Yeah, not my finest moment, for sure.

But see, that’s why I started a blog. To enlist readers to make my decisions for me. That’s right. I gave up. Threw in the towel. I let someone else be the one to decide which book I read for English. Or whether or not I accepted an invitation to join the debate team from that cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy who gave me the Heimlich Maneuver in the cafeteria. (Note to self: Chew the melon before swallowing it.) I even let them decide who I dated!

Well, it turns out there are some things in life you simply can’t choose or have chosen for you—like who you fall in love with. And now everything’s more screwed up than ever.

But don’t take my word for it, read the book and decide for yourself. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll scream in frustration. Or maybe that’s just me. After all, it’s my life.


I Kept Reading Because: I wanted some redemption for Brooklyn. She was so bratty in the beginning and middle that I wanted to see her become a better person!

Romance?: Yes!

What I Liked (& Didn't):
Like I said, Brooklyn was so bratty I almost stopped reading it. I couldn't stand her for a good chunk of the story. However, I do know a few 15 year olds that are that bratty and that I do feel like slapping sometimes, so I had to commend that author for writing such a true to life teenage girl!

You really wanted to see Brooklyn have some growth and the path she was on was pretty clear. It was a bit of a standard coming of age story, but having her create a blog to help her make decisions added a new twist!

I liked both of the boys that Brooklyn was involved with, but really found myself rooting for "Heimlich" (Brian). He really was the only choice for Brook if she was going to grow by the end.

The idea for this book was so intriguing! To post a choice and have people vote on it--what an idea. But then again, you could always blame your readers if a decision blew up in your face. However, Brooklyn's readers seemed pretty saavy and made some smart decisions for her, which was what she wanted int he first place.

Jessica Brody's writing is easy to read and the story flowed along at a good pace. I didn't find any lags in the story!

To Sum Up: Good, standard coming of age story. I bought it for my library and will recommend it for several of my students!

Book from my library collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment