Image Map

Jan 4, 2012

Middle Grade Mysteries

I love mystery series! And so do the readers in my library. It can be hard to find good mystery series for younger readers but here are some good ones I have read over the last few years:

Gilda Joyce, Psychic Investigator by Jennifer Allison: These are fun books with a great main character. When I was in an elementary library I had this whole series, but haven't bought them yet for my middle school library. Gilda is a great character!

Enola Holmes by Nancy Springer: I have enjoyed all of the Enola Holmes books. Nancy Springer does a great job creating Victorian London and Enola, the much younger sister of Sherlock is a great main character. These have been popular since the new Sherlock Holmes movie!

The Brixton Brothers
by Mac Barnett: I love, love, love these books! Students enjoy them as well, but the humor of these books and the winks towards The Hardy Boys might be lost on some kids. I just think they are so clever though!

The Echo Falls mysteries by Peter Abrahams: Mr. Abrahams is one of my favorite adult authors. The first one in this series is called Down the Rabbit Hole and I just love his main character, Ingrid. (If you like these, read The Tutor which was and adult book he wrote but the main character is very similar to Ingrid).

Dead Is... by Marlene Perez: This series is just perfect for readers who want something a little older than middle grade mysteries. There is romance and a lot of supernatural creatures for girls to enjoy!

These are just a few of the mystery series I know that students have enjoyed over the last few years. There are also tons of stand alone mysteries that are also awesome.

I know that I have missed quite a few so what are some of your favorite middle grade mystery series?

Also, here is another great mystery list for middle grade readers!

6 comments:

  1. I did a mystery unit with my basic class this year and I wish I'd had your list then! Thanks, Jana!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet is a great one to add, as well! I'm so happy to see a spotlight shined on MG mysteries.

    If you're interested, we have a few more mystery tips and interviews on our MG/YA mystery blog, Sleuths, Spies & Alibis, too: http://sleuthsspiesandalibis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sam & Friends Mystery series by Mary Labatt is a fun graphic novel series. A girl can communicate with the neighbor dog and they solve mysteries together. The mysteries start out seeming supernatural, but end up having logical explanations. Sam is hilarious. I love these. There are four so far. I hope there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I am always looking for new graphic novels series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beil's Red Blazer Girls series and Runholdt's Kari and Lucas mysteries are both ones that many of my readers like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read the Red Blazer Girls but not Runholdt's books. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete