Image Map

Nov 7, 2011

Review: Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber

3 pretty good double chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love: Not really. I don't feel it really captures the tone of the book.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
The synopsis sounded interesting. Here it is from Good Reads:
Perry Stormaire is a normal high school senior– he is busy applying to college and rehearsing with his band –until he agrees to go to the prom with the Lithuanian exchange student who is staying with his family. It turns out that Gobi Zaksauskas is not the mousy teenager that she seems but rather an attractive, confident trained assassin. Instead of going to the prom, Perry finds himself on a wild ride through the streets of New York City as Gobi commandeers the Jaguar his father lent him for the prom in order to take out her targets. Perry learns a lot about himself – and ends up with some amazing material for his college application essays.


I Kept Reading Because:
It was fast paced and got me interested from the get-go.

Romance?: A hint of one.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I was glad that the story got moving right away. There wasn't a lot of explaining or back story, we pretty much just jumped right into the action.

I liked Perry and I liked Gobi. I just couldn't nail the tone down really well. When we heard Perry's voice setting the story up it seemed kind of goofy and I thought it would be a pretty humorous book. There was a lot of humor, but also a lot of violence and dark themes. This didn't turn me off, and it did read a little like a good action movie with humor sprinkled through out.

I liked the reason they gave for what Gobi was doing. It was very plausible and her revenge actually didn't seem that over the top.

To Sum Up: A lot of action make this a pretty fast read. Will be enjoyed by many kids!

Book requested and received from NetGalley and Disney. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I don't care much for the cover, either. Great review, Jana! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received this book for Christmas... I've read many "Ehh" reviews, but I trust your judgment.

    ReplyDelete