Image Map

Jun 20, 2011

Review: Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer


3 decent peanut butter cookies.

Cover Love:
This is a series with cover controversy! I actually like both sets of covers, but I don't like that I won't have "matching" covers for the series.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
Because I really liked Nightshade, the first book in the series. Here's the synopsis from Good Reads:
This thrilling sequel to the much-talked-about Nightshade begins just where it ended-Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer-one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack-and the man-she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.

I Kept Reading Because: This is a tricky one. I almost didn't keep reading (more on that below) but I had to think that some of what I loved about Nighshade was still in there so I kept going.

Romance?: Some. But not the intense connection that was in Nightshade.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
I felt like Calla during the first half of the book, completely confused. I didn't make any connections with the Searchers, except a bit with Monroe. Most of them were not likeable (Connor, Ethan, Adne). They might have been, but we were seeing them through Calla's eyes and they were not pleasant to her. So why would I care about them?

Calla and Shay were around each other and had tender moments, but overall that was nothing like it was.

I understand Calla feeling guilt and uncertainty for what she did, but it drives me nuts when we have a heroine who is such a martyr. You did it. You left, you chose Shay. Deal with it and move on. You cannot go back and change your choice and I don't think you would if you could, so get over it. But she doesn't she beats herself up for the entire book. One thing I had loved about Calla was that she was an alpha and she was everything that meant: strong, confident, smart. Most of that was gone. I know she was in a total different world and didn't know where she fit in, so I truly understand why she was feeling that way...it just went on way too long for me.

That being said, the second half was much improved (not really Calla). We got more action, more mythology and more of the characters we'd loved from the first book. I still adore Shay and I still like Ren. I look forward to finding out more of what happened to Ren when Calla left.

To Sum Up:
Like the second movie in a trilogy I felt that this one lacked quit a bit when compared to the first. However, I felt it a great set up to the last one and I very much look forward to reading it! (Although I have no idea if this is a trilogy or not. I still think the next one will rock).

Book borrowed from friends who won the ARC from someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment