Image Map

May 11, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

4 super soft sugar cookies!

Cover Love: Yes! It is very eye catching. I also love the city at the bottom, kind of ominous.

Why I Wanted to Read This:
#1. it's a YA dystopian. despite the recent surge of these kind of books I still really like them.
#2. It was being compared to The Hunger Games. Rather than being skeptical I thought I would give it a try!
Here's the synopsis from Good Reads:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


I Kept Reading Because: I couldn't put it down! Great writing, great story and great characters.

Romance?: Yes! I adored Four.

What I Liked (& Didn't):
The first thing that struck me was how unquestioning Beatrice was of her lifestyle and society. She questioned her place, sure, but it was quite a bit into the book before she asked the question I was wondering all along, "what is on the other side of the fence?" I am super curious about what the rest of the world is like!

I found it very interesting that there was no "racism" but there was "characteristic-ism" (I think I just made up a new word). The factions had preconceived notions and hatred towards each other. In a society that was designed for everyone's differences to balance each other out, those are also things that would end up dividing everyone!

Great villians! This book gives us quite a few people to dislike.

I was so happy there was no love triangle. We had the one person that Tris was attracted to and only one. There might be another one in a future book, but for now I am perfectly happy having ONE relationship to root for.

I took the quiz on facebook about what faction I would be and got Eurdite. After reading the book I don't want to be Eurdite! Although being Divergent is super dangerous, it also makes you kind of special. That's what I would want to be. BUT, looking closer at all the factions, I do think Erudite is where I would belong, Ugh.

To Sum Up: Great new dystopian trilogy that already has the students in my school drooling. Can't wait to read the next one!

Book bought for my school library. Need to get another copy!

1 comment:

  1. I mailed this to my critique partner and just got it back. I'm anxious to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete