Image Map

Sep 21, 2010

Tween Tuesday: The Summer of Moonlight Secrets by Danette Haworth

4 wonderful rice krispy treats

Tween Tuesday is a meme hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen. Check her out!

Cover Love: Yes! I just love this cover. I love the colors--it just comes together really nicely.

Why I Wanted To Read This: Because of the cover. It just really appeals to me! Here's the synopsis from good reads:

At The Meriwether, Florida’s famous antebellum hotel off of Hope Springs, nothing is quite as it seems.

Secret staircases give way to servants’ quarters and Prohibition-era speakeasies make for the perfect hide-and-seek spot.

Allie Jo Jackson knows every nook and cranny of The Meriwether—she’s lived there her whole life—and nothing surprises her, until the first time she spots the enigmatic and beautiful Tara emerging from the springs.
Tara’s shimmery skin, long flowing hair, and strange penchant for late moonlight swims disguise a mysterious secret—and once Allie Jo and her friend Chase discover Tara’s secret, nothing will ever be the same.
From the celebrated author of Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning comes another magical summer tale full of memorable characters and a one-of-a-kind setting.


I Kept Reading Because: It was a great story and kept me interested the whole time!

Romance?: There is such a sweet little tween romance. Just a cute little side note that perfectly captures those first stirrings of romance! (It is not between Chase & Allie Jo, the main characters, that might have ruined it).

What I Liked (& Didn't): I loved both of these characters. Allie Jo was such a sweet, lonely girl just on the verge of middle school and all the insecurities that come with that. She is a different person when she is around her hotel--so confident, satisfied and happy-than when she is away from it and confronted by the "mean" girls who tease her. The author did a great job of capturing Allie Jo and the age she is.

I adored Chase, such a nice boy. For someone who has had his share of troubles (his mom left he and his dad, his dad is a busy writer) he has come out of it very well adjusted. Truly, I just loved Chase.

I loved the relationship between Allie Jo and Chase. There was no hint of romance, it was all sort of sibling-ish, but they were actually better friends that siblings sometimes are. They get to experience this big thing together and make it through with their friendship in tact.

It is a great summer adventure! All the kids in the book meet at a hotel and although we know that when the summer is over their friendships probably are too, none of them hold back. They become a tight group and are able to have quite an adventure.

Each chapter is written from either Chase's or Allie Jo's point of view and it flows together so smoothly. They are short, quick chapters that keep the book moving along quickly. And the author changes between characters very easily. It is done very well.

The only burr, which does add to the story, is that Chase's mom has left Chase and his dad. I just cannot imagine doing that and when I read books with this element I get so upset! What is up with people who can walk away like that?!

To Sum Up: Great summer adventure with interesting well written characters--what's not to love?

Book checked out from public library.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I love books about big houses with secret passages and all of that. The fact that this is a hotel with interesting guests too just makes me more interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover is awesome - I love it! Another great and convincing review, Jana. If I get the book, do I get some rice Krispy treats?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. It's nice to have a non-romance book.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this sounds like such a good one! It kind of sounds like a summer camp story, except the hotel is the camp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:35 PM

    So glad you liked this one because I've thought it sounded awesome ever since I fell in love with the cover!

    ReplyDelete